Saturday 6 September 2014

Running

I took a long break from running, almost twenty years, and have now found that I have to be slightly more clever with my training, especially not over doing it and also having good recovery days. My mind tells me I can beat my personal best times (which were never going to trouble Mo Farah) but the body is creaking a bit. Still, I have lost weight and been working on a healthier lifestyle (haven't become a monk though, where's the fun in that?).

This year I have managed to get some good races in and stayed injury free and the culmination is coming soon with The Basingstoke Half marathon on 5th October and The Great South Run three weeks later on the 26th.

This me after ten miles this morning. Looking a little confused because I'm as blind as a bat without my specs.


After the run I refuelled with the breakfast of champions of scrambled eggs and beans on toast (would have been bacon as well but I scoffed that yesterday)


I suppose a side product of time creeping away is that many fears can be released. I'm not paranoid about this but I do feel that it is important to look after my mind and body a little bit more (some say the first one went years ago and the latter was not up to much in the first place)

When I ran before I took part in a couple of London Marathons and managed to raise money for two good causes covering cancer research and dementia. I am dedicating my energy to help two worthy charities in those areas again.

Over time I have seen many friends and family suffer from the effects of both of these conditions, and sadly some of them are not with us any more.

So, I would like to shake my "virtual" collection bucket and make a plea for any donations small, medium, or if you can stand it, LARGE! It all helps in the fight.

And if you need an incentive to donate I will get my two wonderful daughters Keziah and Ostara (the reason for my 50 year old dad blog in case you were wondering) to dump ice over me after both runs. They are so looking forward to it for some reason.

Below are a couple of links to my Just Giving pages, one for Cancer Research UK and the other for the Alzheimers Society, but feel free to donate to any charity you like. I would love to receive comments on my blog page http://fiftyyearolddad.blogspot.co.uk/ so I can know if I have been an inspiration.

Thank you.






Sunday 5th October 2014

The Basingstoke Half Marathon will take place on Sunday 5th October 2014. Same course, same organisers, same great atmosphere - we can't wait to see you.



Sunday 26th October 2014

P.S I have set targets of £250 for each charity and if we meet those figures I might even be convinced to dump a bucket of ice over my own head. Whatever it takes. Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment